Minnesota Scenario Paintball Forums  

Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Minnesota Scenario Paintball Forums > General Scenario Paintball > Tech Questions

Tech Questions Players and help eachother out with tech question for their paintball gear.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Jedimaster

Here's a link on a quick search I did for paintball fields in your general area.

It's from pbreview and is a few years old, but I checked the links and it looks as though some are still in business.

You might have some luck there trying

http://www.pbreview.com/fields/43/

http://www.pbnation.com/fields/sd

http://www.paintballfield.com/state/south_dakota

http://www.mesapaintballsupply.com/f...outh-Dakota_SD

http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/...South%20Dakota

Without Honor, Victory is Hollow
Jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
C4 Explosives

I echo everything that Jedi and Shaman have to say, try before you buy is very important (especially if you're on a budget). Nothing wrong with buying used if you get to try the marker out before you buy it. Most folks willing to buy un-tried gear are the ones snapping up vintage stuff and willing to take the risks knowing that it might take some work to get things working again.

I have a lot of experience with Tippmann markers so I'm going to get on a bit of a soap box here. Tippmann has had some great products in the past, and some will argue with me on this, but I wouldn't recommend anything they have made after the Pro Carbine (maybe the 98 Custom). As a product designer I can tell you that the mass produced die cast clam shell designs of their newer markers is of inferior quality to their older markers. I will give them props on the cool factor of their new stuff, lots of tacticool addons, milsim upgrades, they bring Call of Duty to paintball and it gets a lot of new players into the sport which is great, but the truth is that most of their stuff won't improve your performance on the field and looks only count in the parking lot.

So since you asked for a recommendation, if you're looking for durability, reliability, accuracy, and performance on a budget and it has to be a Tippmann then I would recommend a Tippmann 68 Carbine or Pro Carbine hands down. These things don't look like military gear, there's not much cool factor, there's not a lot of milsim upgrades, but that also means you'll save cash by not being tempted to buy a bunch of stuff you don't really need. The only upgrades you'll need are a decent barrel (A5 threads work) and a good HPA tank. The only real sacrifice on performance with one of these is the rate of fire, but if you're meeting up with your buddies to play in smaller games in the woods that shouldn't matter so much. That said I'll take my Carbine up against 20 balls per second and not think twice.

What I love most about this marker is that since I never had to worry about it crapping on me in the field I could focus on my game knowing I could get the job done, I could probably count on both hands the number of times I've broken paint using this hog over the last 4 years, and that's 10's of thousands of rounds.

These can be found for CHEAP, so there's not much risk in buying used, I picked one up off of craigslist in the fall in like new condition, with a great aftermarket barrel, for $40.

But like everyone said, try before you buy, don't take my word for it and just go buy one. If you are out at Splattag come find me, ask around, I always have at least one Carbine with me at the field and you're welcome to use it all day if you want.

*** I am in no way responsible for Slumlord's comments ***
C4 Explosives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
rkptcowboy

I started my paintball journey 10 years ago or so with my 98 custom that i still own today being new to paintball and buying it from a sproting goods store i took a risk that eneded up paying off i didnt even know for my first 3 seasons that you were supposed to periodicly clean your paintball gun....
BUt it never realy stopped working ...worked alot better after a cleaning but and all of my guns for a while were tippmann though i agree they have started to use less durable parts but i still stand behing the products i only recently upgraded to a electric marker. but i think i will keep my 98 and tippmann A-5 till i am done with paintball....wich probably wont be for a very long time.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
EZD

Minnesota Paintball Internet Guide www.mnpig.com

Twin Cities Paintball - Facebook page 12 courses in Baldwin, WI.
EZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
cutlass66guy

Well looks like I'm either getting a U.S. Army Salvo or a Caver one Sniper set up and the gf might get a Spyder Fenix or Sonix. I want to get 2 markers for me one for snipping and one for regular play mostly woods ball and those look to be the best and there are a lot of them around and alot of ups for them.
cutlass66guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
Killer

If I must say so, the closest you will get to a true "sniper" gun, is with a Tiberius marker using First Strike rounds!
I wouldn't waste my money on 2 different markers myself. Find one you really like and save your money for paint to practice with your marker! Just about every marker you buy will benefit from a better barrel than the stock barrel, especially Tippmann markers!! And I've owned a 98 custom and an A5!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
cutlass66guy

Ya that would be great but it's really expensive. I'm trying to get a good gun or 2 that will be good for just pretty much woodsball with my friends and maybe go to splat tag every now and again so I don't need anything like a Tiberius Arms gun even tho they look great.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
bauer the baller

I would definitely look at Azodin. They are similar to spyders, but they actually use standard parts and threads, so they are much easier to fix and upgrade. I've only used their kaos pump, but it was great for the price and I'm sure the rest of their guns are similar in quality. It's also going to be much lighter and easier to maintain than a tippmann. Oh and there isn't really such thing as a "sniper" in paintball (unless you're using first strike rounds or talking about a pump cocker). Any paintball gun will shoot just as far any other gun at the same velocity, regardless of barrel length. longer barrel = more efficient and maybe quieter.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
cutlass66guy

The Azodin will probably be for the gf, and I just can't see myself spending $40/100 rounds for first strike that's like shooting my muzzle loader all day at that price it's just dumb. I would rather pay $40/ 2000 rounds for just so regular balls. At least then I can play all day on like 2 boxes of rounds or less. And no paintball gun is going to be completely accurate where I play (to much wind). I live in sw mn with very few wooded areas to play and the groves that we do have to play in aren't very thick just thick enough to play in with a few good spots to set up and go to town on people. Mostly run and gun type stuff but I would still like to get a tippman I think and mod it out nice or buy one. I was also like to buy a run and gun marker. I think the run and gun will come first since that is mostly what I do.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
C4 Explosives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer the baller View Post
. Oh and there isn't really such thing as a "sniper" in paintball
True, don't try to be one, we don't exist, it's a myth.
C4 Explosives is offline   Reply With Quote