Minnesota Scenario Paintball Forums  

Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Minnesota Scenario Paintball Forums > General Scenario Paintball > Tech Questions

Tech Questions Players and help eachother out with tech question for their paintball gear.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
cutlass66guy

Default New gun

Hey I am wanting a new marker but not sure what I want. I mostly do woods ball and want to start doing scenarios but I'm not sure what I want I wanted a BT4 but not so sure anymore. Any ideas would be helpful not really wanting to go with a tipman though. I have been shooting a Spyder MR1 and a Spyder xtra pretty much as long as long as I have been playing.
cutlass66guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
artash

In which price range?
If you're going for performance over look, I definitely recommend a Spyder Pilot with Eye. Very good entry level marker ranging at $109-159 price.
artash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Jedimaster

Here's what I'd suggest.

If you don't have one already, head over to the local book store and pick up a copy of Action Pursuit Games. They have lots of great adds of what's out there right now.

Study it, see what you like. Decide if you want to stay with the Spyder style gun, or move over to the scenario style gun. Do you want electro or mechanical?

Then once you get an idea of what you like, go to where you play and see if anyone has any of the guns there that you are looking at. Ask if you could try them out.

I'm a firm believer in Try Before You Buy. I look at it the same as buying a car. Know what you are looking for.

Then you need to decide on your price range.....

Once you narrow it down, then you can really start putting funds aside for it.

If you get one off of e-bay, be very careful.....

After that, be sure to get a decent loader.

There's probably a million different opinions on here about what the best gun is and reasons why. Keep those in mind while doing your research, it can help.

Good luck!

Without Honor, Victory is Hollow
Jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
cutlass66guy

I was thinking more of a scenario gun. I like the Spyders and I'm sure I will buy another one some time. And about the try before you buy is that I always play with the same people and I know all they're guns so I don't know. My friend bought a Smartparts from a outdoors store and had nothing but trouble with it. I think he only put about 20 rounds through it before it took a ****.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Jedimaster

There are some really nice scenario guns out there right now, very realistic too....

And the add on's that are available, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.

Most of the guys on my team started out carrying some sort of scenario gun. Then we all switched over to Angels.

The first gun I bought in '91 was a VM-68, and was a heavy but reliable beast. The next one I bought was an Armotech WG-65, one of the first true scenario guns. Liked it alot, but got tired of the weight quickly. Since switching to a "speed ball" gun we haven't looked back. They've performed well in all weather conditions and are nice and light. Now, alot of guys on the team are switching over to Ego's. I'm interested in seeing how those perform.

I know established fields in your area tend to be a bit sparse, so another recommendation would be to make the trek to Splat Tag for one of the Giant Big Games. They generally have camping the night before. That way, you'll get to see ton's of different guns and mods people have made on them. Or, even one of the Jungle Rumbles at the end of the month. Typically they have a Swap meet at these games during the lunch break.

Personally, I tend to shy a way from paintball guns bought in stores.... they maybe cheap, but you tend to get what you pay for.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
cutlass66guy

I'm thinking that my friend and I might have to make the long drive there some time I have been looking up alot of guns lately I'm not a big fan of Tippman but that might be what i go with there are a bunch of them out there and they are reasonably cheap and there are alot of aftermarket parts for them. I'm also looking for a good starter gun for the gf thinking of a Spyder I really like them they are cheap, light and easy to use and fix if something ever goes wrong.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Jedimaster

Good idea to both.

That's what I did with my wife when she use to play with me (paintball that is). I got her an F2 Illustrator, brand new when I bought it for her. Very light and easy to work on.

The only complaint she had about it was that it didn't shoot fast enought. Come to think of it, she only had that complaint when she was on the other team............
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Jedimaster

Here's a link to Splat Tag's calendar of big games.

The Jungle Rumbles all have swap meets at them. The Giant Big Games are huge! 600+ players. Keep in mind the Wounded warrior game on June 3rd....

http://www.splattag.com/paintball/big_games.htm
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Shaman

I will also echo try before you buy. Make some friends and play some games at some local fields (Splattag, air assault, MNPro, etc) and see if people will let you try out their markers (at the chrono range, for a game, etc).

See what feels right and will work for you. Ease of maintenance and reliability should be high on the list of importance, its no fun when your gear breaks down on the field!

check pbreview.com for peoples opinions. Mcarterbrown also has some good reviews.

Everyone has a different opinion on markers they like, it all comes down to what factors you value and how much your willing to spend!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
cutlass66guy

Ya being in SW MN there aren't any places to play well local fields any way. Splat tag is probably over 4 hrs away one way so we will have to see. I would love it if there was a Pro Shop or something around here and a field instead of the places we have to settle for. Pretty much we just play at some friends place with some woods or a couple of wildlife areas. That's about it other than that we would have fields or grassland not the best to play in but we make do. But back to guns it is looking like more and more it's going to be a Tippman for me and a Spyder or Azodin for the gf keep them cheap for her just in case she doesn't like to play. But if she doesn't well then I guess that is just another gun for me.